Minced pork is usually used in San Choy Bau. In this recipe, I used minced chicken instead. It turned out to be a good choice. The minced chicken was tender and really yummy with addition of finely diced vegetables and lots of sauce. The lettuce cups add a nice crunch.
- 250 gm chicken mince
- 1 cup of carrot (finely diced)
- 1 cup of red pepper (finely diced)
- 1 cup of celery (finely diced)
- 1 cup of mushroom (finely diced)
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp cornflour (mixed in 1 Tbsp water)
- A large handful of Thai basil leaves
To serve: 8 -10 small lettuce leaves (trimmed to a cup shape)
- Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic and ginger, and fry until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, then carrots. Fry until softened.
- Add red pepper, celery and corn. Cook for 1 minute or so.
- Add minced chicken. Stir to mix well with the vegetables.
- Add the sauce (minus the cornflour and simmer until the chicken is cooked.
- Thicken with cornflour mixture.
- Stir in the Thai basil leaves. Remove to a serving plate.
- To serve, spoon some filling into a lettuce cup. Alternatively, serve filling separate from lettuce cups and invite your guests fill their own lettuce cups.