Spicy Okra with Dried Shrimp is a simple yet delicious dish. The traditional method is to cut the okra into pieces and then fry with minced dried shrimp. For me, this often ends up a slimy mess. I found that by not cutting the okra, there is no slime. Simmering whole okra in dried shrimp and sambal chilli produces tender okra that absorb the delicious spicy prawny sauce.
- A bunch of okra
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Lots of chopped garlic
- 4 fresh chillies
- 30 gm of small dried shrimp (soak in boiling water until softened, then drain)
- 1 tsp of sambal chilli
- 1/2 cup of water
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add chopped garlic and fresh chillies.
- Fry until fragrant.
- Add a bunch of okra and fry for a few minutes.
- Add softened dried shrimp and fry for a few minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sambal chilli and 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer until nearly dry and the okra is tender. Enjoy!