Crispy Honey Chicken is a dish I had when we first arrived in Brisbane from Singapore. We love that super crispy coating, the tender chicken within and that delicious honey sauce. It’s a perfect combination. Here’s my version. The chicken remains crispy even after coating with the honey sauce. 😋
- 500 gm chicken meat (breast or thigh)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Enough cold water (from the fridge) – mix gradually to a coating consistency
- Honey Sauce:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- Cut the chicken meat into 1″ cubes.
- Marinate chicken with soya sauce, sugar and cornflour. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare 2 bowls: 1 with cornflour and another with coating mixture. For coating mixture, add rice flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt. Add cold water (from the fridge) 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix well with the flours to a coating consistency. Depending on the flour, you may require 3 tbsp of water or more. The desired consistency is one that should coat the back of a spoon.
- Prepare to deep fry – add 2″ of oil to a small pot. Ensure the oil is hot by dropping a little coating mixture into the oil. It should float up immediately.
- Dredge the chicken in the bowl of cornflour, then into the coating mixture. Drop the chicken into the oil carefully. Cook in batches, avoid overcrowding. Once golden, remove to a wire rack to drain excess oil. Note: Deep fry again in hot oil if you want super crunchy chicken, otherwise one lot of frying should be sufficient.
- Empty the oil from the pot. Add honey sauce and simmer for a minute or 2. Add the crispy chicken and stir to coat. Remove to a serving plate. Enjoy the crunchy chicken coated in a delicious honey sauce. 😋😋😋