Steamed scallops in shells look and taste amazing. Scallops are very delicate and require minimal cooking. Overcooked scallops will be tough so it is very important to ensure the scallops are not steamed beyond 2 minutes and the dish is served immediately after steaming.
Sprinkling of salt
20 gm vermicelli (soaked in hot water)
1 knob of ginger (cut into thin strips)
1 chilli (thinly sliced)
1 tbsp of fried garlic
1 stalk of green onion (sliced)
1 tsp of butter
Sauce – mixed together:
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp water or stock
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp of chopped garlic
- Remove the scallops from the shells. Wash both scallops and shells under running water. Drain.
- Dry the scallops with kitchen towel. Season with a sprinkling of salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the shells on a plate, do not overlap the shells. Add a bunch of soaked vermicelli onto each shell. Set the dish in a steamer. Start the steaming process.
- In the meanwhile, heat a cast iron pan till hot. Add butter and spread evenly.
- Add scallops and allow it to brown lightly on both sides. This should not take more than 1 minute.
- Remove the scallops and place them on top of the vermicelli on the shells in the steamer. Turn off the heat to the cast iron pan.
- Add ginger strips, chilli and fried garlic on top of each scallop.
- Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Do not overcook the scallops.
- In the meanwhile, heat cast iron pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and chopped garlic. Pour the sauce into the cast iron pan and cook briefly. Turn off heat.
- Scoop the sauce over the scallops in the shell. Sprinkle green onions on top and serve immediately.