Fried pork mince with Thai basil is a simple dish but is very tasty. It is a popular dish in Thailand (called Pad Krapow) and is often served with deep fried eggs.
250 gm pork mince
1 clove garlic (sliced)
1 chilli (sliced)
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
(oyster sauce & fish sauce are often added)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt, to taste
Lots of black pepper
A large handful of Thai basil leaves
1/2 cup oil
1. Deep fry the eggs:
Pour 1/2 cup of oil in the pan.
When hot, break 2 eggs into the hot oil.
Leave to fry till 1 side is crispy.
Remove fried eggs to serving plates.
2. Remove most of the oil, leaving 1 tbsp in the pan. Add garlic and chilli. Fry till garlic turns golden.
3. Add pork mince and stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Add soya sauce, dark soya sauce and fry to mix. Note: oyster sauce and fish sauce are often added as well (but I leave these out due to the msg content).
5. Add brown sugar and sesame oil. Mix well with pork. After mixing, do not stir allowing the sugar to caramelise.
6. Taste and add a little salt, if required. Add lots of black pepper.
7. Add a handful of Thai basil. Fry till the basil leaves start to wilt. Remove and serve with the fried eggs.