I love the texture and taste of this Banana Bread recipe. I have reduced the amount of butter and sugar to make it a “healthier” banana bread. This bread freezes well so I cut them into thick slices and freeze them so that I can have one slice at the time. No guilt.
- 250 gm self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 gm melted butter
- 110 gm brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75gm yogurt
- 2 cups of bananas (about 4 bananas)
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 50 gm almonds (or walnuts or pecans)
- Grease a 22×12 cm loaf tin and line with baking paper. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Mix flour with salt and ground cinnamon.
- Mash bananas. Set aside.
- Beat melted butter with brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs (1 at a time) and continue beating.
- Beat in mashed banana, yogurt and vanilla essence.
- Turn beater to low setting, add flour mixture and mix till evenly combined.
- Scoop into the loaf tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle almond flakes over the top.
- Bake in a 180°C oven (use lowest shelf) for 60 minutes. Cover with foil mid-way through baking to prevent burning the top of the bread.
- Remove from oven when cooked (use skewer to test) and place the loaf tin on a rack to cool completely.
- Any leftovers may be frozen – slice and wrap with greaseproof paper. Store in freezer. Re-heat using a microwave oven or toaster.