One of the popular dim sum dishes is lobak ko (radish cake). It’s usually cut into thick slices and served lightly pan fried with chilli and hoisin sauce. This simple dish can be made even tastier when fried with Chinese sausage, dried prawns and eggs. Great with sambal chilli if you like it hot!
MAKE RADISH CAKE (LOBAK KO)
1 radish 9 in x 3.5 in (shredded) + 1 cup of water
150 mg rice flour
25 gm cornflour
12 gm wheat starch
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2½ cups of water
1. Add shredded radish to 1 cup of water and bring it to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes till tender.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, cornflour, wheat starch, salt, oil and 2½ cups of water. Stir batter till smooth.
3. Add the flour mixture to the cooked radish and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till the batter is thick and creamy.
4. Pour batter into a deep dish. Smooth the top. Steam for 30 minutes, till cooked. To test, insert a skewer, it should come out clean.
5. Remove from heat and leave to set (1 hour) in the fridge. You could speed up the setting stage by transferring to another dish and leaving it the freezer for 15-30 minutes.
6. When set, cut into slices or bite size cubes.
👍 Steam the cubes and serve with chilli and hoisin sauces.
👍 Cut into large slices and lightly pan-fry till crispy on the outside.
👍 Fry the cubes with egg, prawn, Chinese sausage, bean sprout and chives. Remember to add some sambal chilli for added spice.
FRIED RADISH CAKE
100 gm radish cake (cut into 1″ cubes)
1 tbsp oil
1 clove of garlic(minced)
1 fresh chilli (sliced)
1/2 Chinese sausage (sliced)
2 tsp dried prawns (soaked in hot water till soft)
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp salt or 1 tbsp soya sauce
Lots of white pepper
1 stalk of spring onion (sliced)
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil.
2. Add Chinese sausage
3. Add dried prawns.
4. Add garlic & chilli and fry till fragrant.
5. Add radish cake. Allow it to fry before flipping over to the other side.
6. Add beaten eggs. Allow the eggs to set before flipping over.
7. Add white pepper and 1 teaspoon salt or 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
8. Flip over & fry till fragrant and golden.
9. Add sliced spring onion.
It’s ready to be dished up and served. 😋😋😋