Naan is a variety of Indian breads. Basic ingredients are flour, yeast, milk and yogurt. Add some grated garlic to the dough and brush it with garlic butter and you get yummy garlic naan. Cook it on a iron cast pan for best results. Soft and delicious! 😋
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 naans)
200 gm flour plus 1-2 tbsp for kneading
1/2 tsp of salt
600 ml of warm water
1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
1.5 tsp of active dry yeast
1.5 tbsp of yogurt
200 ml milk
2 tbsp oil
1 clove of garlic (grated)
1 tbsp of melted butter & minced garlic
1. Mix salt and flour. Set aside.
2. Activate yeast:
Warm water and add sugar. Stir to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast on top and stir.
Leave in a warm place for 5-10 minutes. Mixture should turn frothy.
3. Mix milk, yogurt and oil together in a bowl.
4. Pour into the flour mixture. Mix.
5. Stir in the frothy yeast mixture. Stir to mix to a dough.
6. Add grated garlic and stir to mix. If dough is too sticky, add 1-2 tbsp of flour to form a ball (it will still be slightly sticky).
7. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth. Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Place in a warm environment to rise for an hour. The dough should double in size.
8. Remove the dough, flatten with fingers and cut into 6 equal pieces.
9. Apply a little oil to a piece of dough as well as the rolling pin. Roll the dough to an oval, about 3mm in thickness. Cover with a towel for 15 minutes.
9. Place on a heated cast iron pan. When bubbles appear, brush with melted garlic butter.
10. Flip the naan to the other side and heat till golden brown. Brush with more garlic butter. Keep naan warm in a heated oven until all the pieces are cooked and ready to be served. Good with any curry.