Here is a simple recipe for a delicious pizza. The pizza dough is easy to make and you can use any food you may have in your fridge for the topping. Make a simple pizza sauce with a can of tomatoes and top with mozzarella cheese for a super tasty finish.
Making your own pizza dough easy but it does require 2 hours of proofing, so you may wish to plan or prepare the dough in advance (see *** note below.)
170 ml warm water
Pinch of sugar
1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
240 gm bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can of tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
Pizza Topping: (choice and amount to your liking)
Chorizo (remove skin)
Sun dried tomato
1. Make the dough – start with combining yeast, sugar and warm water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast becomes foamy.
2. Place flour, salt, olive oil and yeast mixture into a bowl. Stir to form a dough.
3. Add dough to a food processor with a dough hook. Knead the dough for 2 minutes or until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Alternatively, hand knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic (may take 10 minutes).
Test consistency by stretching a small piece of dough. If it does not break whilst being stretched to a thin film, the dough is ready for proofing.
4. Place in a oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours or until the dough doubles in size. (see *** Note below).
5. Punch down the dough and shape to a ball and flatten to a disc. (If a thin pizza is preferred, cut the dough into 2 and shape.) Cover and rest the dough for 30 mins.
6. Prepare the pizza sauce. Combine all the ingredients and blend to a thick sauce. Set aside.
7. Prepare the topping. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add garlic and mushroom and fry till fragrant. Add bacon, SPAM, chorizo (either separately or together) and fry for a few minutes. Remove to cool.
8. After the dough has rested, stretch the dough with fingers to fit a large pizza pan. (For smaller pan pizza, stretch to a round or rectangular shape. Place on baking paper in a baking tray). (Note: it’s time to pre-heat the oven to 220°C.)
9. Spread liberally with pizza sauce, then top evenly with filling of choice.
10. Bake at 220°C for 15 minutes until the crust is cooked and golden.
11. Remove from oven, sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese over the top of the pizza.
12. Place the pan in the oven at 220°C for another 10 minutes or until the cheese turns a golden brown. Enjoy 😊 😋
*** Note: How to prepare the dough in advance.
At step 4 above, after kneading the dough, place it in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise overnight in the fridge.
The next day, remove the dough from the fridge to allow it to warm to room temperature (approx. 1/2 hour). Then continue with step 5 above.