Pandan kaya is a sweet fragrant spread made from eggs and coconut cream. Pandan essence will impart a pandan fragrance to the spread. It’s easy to prepare but does require some patience (around 60 minutes) and constantly stirring in a double boiler to prevent lumps from forming.
Pandan kaya goes really well with butter in my soft fluffy buns 😋
175 gm sugar
225 ml coconut cream
2 drops of pandan essence
1. Break eggs into a large bowl. Whisk lightly.
2. Add sugar and whisk with eggs until the sugar is fully dissolved.
3. Add coconut cream and stir until well mixed.
4. Add a couple drops of pandan essence and stir to combine.
5. Strain through a sieve (twice) to remove all the lumps.
6. Set up a double boiler and add 2 inches of water. When the water starts to boil, place the bowl of egg mixture in the double boiler. Turn heat to “low-medium”.
7. Stir the mixture constantly, at 15 minutes’ interval in the first instance. After 45 minutes, stir regularly to prevent lumps from forming. The mixture should reach a coating consistency by 60 minutes.
8. Remove from heat to cool. The kaya will harden slightly after cooling but will remain in a spreadable consistency.
9. Enjoy pandan kaya with butter on bread / buns.
10. Store excess pandan kaya in sterilised jars. Keep in the fridge and eat within a couple of weeks as there is no preservative.