Tikka means chunks, Chicken Tikka is grilled chunks of boneless chicken meat. My recipe below is adapted from a recipe from Dishoom’s cookery book “From Bombay with Love”. Dishoom is one of our favourite restaurants in London.
I baked them in a dish instead of grilling. The chicken meat was tasty, tender and juicy and the skin was crispy. I was pleased to find a delicious gravy at the bottom of the dish. 👍🥰
500 gm chicken (wings, legs, bone-in thighs with skin)
thumb size fresh ginger (chop)
3 cloves garlic (chop)
2 fresh chillies (chop)
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
1. Prepare the marinade by pounding all the ingredients to a smooth paste.
2. Massage the chicken pieces with the marinade. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.
3. Bake in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes until cooked – i.e. no blood oozes out when poked.
4. Remove the chicken pieces and drain off the gravy collected at the bottom of the baking dish.
5. Return the chicken to the baking dish with the skin side up.
6. Turn the temperature up to 200°C and continue to roast the chicken until the skin turns golden brown and crispy (3-5 minutes).
7. Serve chicken tikka with gravy. Yum!