Braised Beef Brisket with Radish (萝卜焖牛腩)
Braised beef brisket with radish is a really yummy dish. Soft tender flavoursome beef and radish – is definitely worth the two hours of braising.
- 750 gm beef brisket (cut into large cubes)
- 1 radish (cut into large chunks)
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 8 slices of ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 pieces coriander root
- 1.5 tbsp Chu Hou paste
- 1/4 cube of red bean curd
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- Spice mix: 2 bay leaves, 1 aniseed and 1 small cinnamon stick and 1 tsp black pepper seeds
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
1. Cut beef brisket into large cubes. Soak in water for 10 mins. to get rid of blood and impurities.
2. Place beef brisket into cold water. Boil the beef brisket for 15 mins.
3. Remove and wash the beef brisket under the tap. Set aside to drain.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a deep pot. Add ginger and fry till fragrant.
5. Add spring onion, coriander root, garlic and fry till fragrant.
6. Add chu hou sauce and red bean curd over low heat.
7. Add beef brisket and fry over low heat.
8. Add rock sugar continue to fry for 2 mins.
9. Add boiling water to just cover beef. Bring to the boil.
10. Add 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp soya sauce, then spice mix. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
11. Add radish, mix well. Cover & simmer for 20 mins.
12. Turn off heat and leave covered to cook for 30 mins. This is an important step.
13. Turn on heat and boil then simmer for 20 mins.
14. Remove spice mix. Add seasoning to your taste: 1 tbsp oyster sauce and 1 tsp dark soya sauce. Reduce gravy to a thick consistency.