Spicy Rice with Salmon
Spicy rice with salmon is an easy and quick recipe for a tasty one pot meal. You can use chicken instead of salmon and peas and corn instead of green beans.
- 400 gm salmon fillet (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup of green beans (cut into 1 cm pieces)
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- Spice paste:
- 1 stalk of lemongrass (white part, finely chopped)
- 3 small red chilli (deseeded)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 2 cups of rice (wash & drain)
- 1 cup coconut milk + 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
1. Season salmon with salt and black pepper.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a hot pan. Add salmon and fry for a couple of minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Add green beans. Fry about a couple of minutes, add water, cover and cook for 5 mins. Remove and set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Add spice paste and fry until fragrant and oil separates out.
5. Add rice, salt and sugar. Fry to coat rice with spices.
6. Add coconut milk and water and bring to the boil.
7. Stir in green beans and cherry tomatoes. When the liquid starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 mins. Check to see if rice is cooked. If it’s still hard, add some water, cover and continue to cook till rice is tender and fully cooked.
8. Stir gently to fluff the rice. Add salmon chunks on top of rice. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
9. To serve, top with fresh coriander leaves and sliced chilli.