Fried Pork with Sichuan Vegetable is an easy dish to whip up for a quick dinner – all you will need is pork, Sichuan vegetable, ginger and chilli. The Sichuan vegetable imparts a nice unique texture (crunchy yet tender) and flavour (good mix of spicy, sour and salty taste).
Sichuan vegetable is available from Chinese grocery shop. It is pickled mustard stem preserved in salt and chilli paste. You will need to wash the stem thoroughly and soak it in water for half an hour before using to remove the excess salt.
1 cup Szechuan vegetable (cut into strips)
1 thumb size knob of ginger (cut into strips)
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 chillies (sliced)
2 tsp sugar
250 gm pork fillet or pork chop (without fat) (cut into strips)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soya sauce
2 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp oil
1. Cut the Szechuan vegetable into 2 inch strips. Soak the Szechuan vegetable in water for 1/2 hour, changing water frequently. This will help remove most of the salt. Taste it to ensure it is not salty. Drain and set aside.
2. Cut the pork into 2 inch strips. Mix 1/2 tsp of baking soda in 3 cups of water. Soak the pork in this solution for 15 mins. Rinse the pork in running water for 5-10 mins. or soak in clear water for 30 mins. changing water frequently. Drain and wipe dry with kitchen towel.
3. Combine all marinade ingredients, except oil. Stir to dissolve the cornflour. Pour marinade over the prepared pork strips. Stir (or rub with fingers) until the pork has fully absorb the marinade. Add oil and stir to combine.
4. Dry fry the Szechuan vegetable for a few minutes. Add ginger strips and fry till fragrant. Remove to a plate.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add marinated pork. Let pork sear for a couple of minutes. Flip pork over and fry till slightly charred.
6. Add garlic and chilli and fry till fragrant. Add the fried Szechuan vegetable and ginger strips. Stir fry with pork until well coated.