“SPAM”, the luncheon meat, is a favourite in my family. We love the texture and taste of “SPAM” which is a type of luncheon meat made from pork. The benefit of making your own luncheon meat is you know how much and type of meat is put into the end product and can vary the amount of seasoning to suit your taste. Also being freshly made, no preservatives are needed. This home made recipe is definitely a healthier version and not as salty as the store bought version. I have added chopped spicy bratwurst to give it a unique taste. 😋
- 500gm shoulder pork
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1 spicy bratwurst or cabana or ham
- 45 gm cornflour
- 30 gm flour
- 60 ml water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 drop of red food colouring (optional)
- Mince pork till fine.
- Add ginger, cornflour, flour and water. Stir well till gooey.
- Add seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Grease the bottom and side of a container with a thin layer of oil.
- Scoop the seasoned meat into the container. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover tightly with foil. Steam for 40 mins.
- Slice luncheon meat and use as desired. Some options are:
- shallow fry till golden and serve as a sandwich, on top of noodles or with steamed rice;
- fry after dipping in beaten egg;
- cube and fry with rice; or
- place a slice on top of sushi rice and secure with nori (seaweed).