Tauhu Goreng is a Malay version of crispy tofu with bean sprout & cucumber, dressed in a sweet chilli with garlic sauce and ground peanut. The concoction makes a refreshing and tasty side dish or an excellent afternoon snack.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 slab of egg tofu, cut into small (about 1 inch) cubes
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tbsp of wheat flour
- black pepper
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1/2 cucumber (remove core, julienne)
- 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts (grind)
- Garnish: crispy fried shallots
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp of sweet chilli sauce with garlic
- 2 tsp of water
1. Prepare the sauce: Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 secs. to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle salt & black pepper over the egg tofu.
3. Place rice flour, wheat flour,, das of salt and black pepper in a plate. Mix well.
4. Coat the egg tofu generously with flour mixture on all sides.
5. Heat 1 cm of oil in a pan.Pan fry the tofu pieces for 5-10 minutes until crispy. Remove to serving plates.
6. Blanch bean sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes. Pour away hot water and run tap water over the bean sprout to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
7. Assemble by layering crispy tofu, cucumber julienne and bean sprouts.
8. Drizzle the sauce and sprinkle with crispy fried shallots and ground roasted peanuts.