Tauhu Goreng (Crispy Tofu Salad)
Tauhu Goreng is a Malay version of crispy tofu with bean sprout & cucumber, dressed in a sweet chilli with garlic sauce and ground peanut. The concoction makes a refreshing and tasty side dish or an excellent afternoon snack.
VIDEO LINK: https://youtu.be/u-w22ahtCIU
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 slab of egg tofu, cut into small (about 1 inch) cubes
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tbsp of wheat flour
- black pepper
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1/2 cucumber (remove core, julienne)
- 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts (grind)
- Garnish: crispy fried shallots
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp of sweet chilli sauce with garlic
- 2 tsp of water
- Prepare the sauce: Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 secs. to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salt & black pepper over the egg tofu.
- Place rice flour, wheat flour,, das of salt and black pepper in a plate. Mix well.
- Coat the egg tofu generously with flour mixture on all sides.
- Heat 1 cm of oil in a pan.
- Pan fry the tofu pieces for 5-10 minutes until crispy. Remove to serving plates.
- Blanch bean sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes. Pour away hot water and run tap water over the bean sprout to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Assemble by layering crispy tofu, cucumber julienne and bean sprouts.
- Drizzle the sauce and sprinkle with crispy fried shallots and ground roasted peanuts.