Chicken Feet with Chilli and Black Bean Sauce (豉汁凤爪)
Steamed Chicken Feet with Chilli and Black Bean Sauce is a popular dim yum dish. I love the slippery, smooth, tender and spongy chicken feet that absorb all the flavours of the chilli and black bean sauce. A really delectable dish.
2 important points to note are:
– Soaking chicken feet in a mixture of baking soda and water and washing them thoroughly under a tap and then briefly boiling them will remove all impurities.
– Coating the chicken feet with soya sauces and then air frying them before steaming will produce that yummy gelatinous spongy texture.
Here’s my “how to” video.
- 8 chicken feet (trim off nails and chop into 2)
- 1 tbsp baking soda in 2 cups of water
- 2 slices of ginger
- 1 tbsp of cooking wine
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- Sauce ingredients: Mix together:
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp black bean (lightly chopped)
- 1 fresh chilli (sliced)
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup of water
1. Prepare the chicken feet:
- Trim off nails and chop chicken feet into 2. Split the feet section. Makes it easier to eat.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in 2 cups of water.
- Soak chicken feet in the baking soda mixture for a few hours.
- Wash the chicken feet under running a tap.
- Heat a couple slices of ginger in a pot and when hot, add 2 cups of water.
- Add 1 tbsp of cooking wine and the washed chicken feet and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 mins before pouring away the water.
- Coat the hot chicken feet with soya sauce and dark soya sauce.
- Add oil and shake the pot to fully coat the chicken feet.
- Air fry the chicken feet till golden (takes about 10 mins at 180°C). Alternatively, deep or shallow fry the chicken feet if no air fryer is available.)
2. Prepare the sauce by mixing together all the sauce ingredients.
3. Place air fried chicken feet in a deep dish. Pour sauce over the chicken feet.
4. Place dish in a steamer and steam for an hour until the chicken feet become tender. Yummy!