Simple Stir-Fried Noodles is a quick dish with few ingredients but when done well, these stir-fried noodles are so tasty. The trick is in the sauce used. The importance of the soya sauce is represented in the literal translation of the Chinese name of this dish which is “Soya Sauce King Fried Noodles”. This simple str-fried noodles dish is usually served as breakfast food with rice porridge. I prefer to have it for lunch so would usually add additional ingredients like fish cake, prawn or mushroom.
- 200 gm fresh egg noodles
- A knob of ginger (cut into strips)
- 1 shallot (slice)
- 2 or 3 tbsp oil
- Sauce – mix together:
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups of bean sprouts (trim off heads & tail)
- Garnish: Toasted sesame seeds, Coriander leaves
- 4 fresh mushrooms (slice)
- 2 fish cakes (slice)
1. Blanch the fresh egg noodles in boiling water for a minute. Separate the noodles using chopsticks.
2. Pour the noodles into a sieve and run the noodles under a cold tap. This will help stop the cooking process and prevent the noodles from clumping together. Set aside.
3. Fry ginger and shallot in 1 tablespoon of hot oil till fragrant. Add bean sprouts and stir fry till bean sprouts are cooked (turn translucent). Remove to a plate.
(Optional) Add 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the mushrooms and fish cake till cooked and remove to the plate of bean sprout.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is smoking, add the noodles and let it sear for a few minutes on each side.
5. Use chopsticks to separate the noodles and stir fry the noodles for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the sauce and continue to stir fry using chopsticks, ensuring the noodles are evenly coated with sauce.
7. Stir in the fried bean sprouts mixture and mix well.
8. Remove noodles to a serving plate and top with toasted sesame seeds and coriander leaves