Pumpkin Cake – Steamed then Fried
Pumpkin cake is a variation on Radish cake. It is very similar to Radish cake in ingredients and steaming process except it uses pumpkin instead of radish as the key ingredient. As a result, you get a very nice golden hue and none of the pong that radish gives (which I dislike). This is great especially for Chinese New Year as Pumpkin cake is doubly auspicious with its golden colour.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/mIvLof8g7jE
- 300 gm of pumpkin (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- A handul of dried prawns (soaked in hot water and chopped)
- 2 dried mushrooms (soaked in hot water and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of rice bran oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fried onion
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 300 gm rice flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 600 ml water (including soaking liquid from dried prawn & mushroom)
- Cut pumpkin in small cubes and soaked dried prawns and mushrooms into small pieces. Keep the soaking liquid.
- Add cornflour to the rice flour and mix well.
- Add water (including soaking liquid) to the flour and stir till well combined. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add dried prawns and mushrooms and fry till fragrant.
- Add five spice powder, white pepper and garlic and stir well to combine. Remove to a plate.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add pumpkin cubes and stir fry.
- Add salt and soy sauce and fried onion and fry the mixture for a few minutes.
- Add the fried prawn and mushroom mixture and 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil and cook till soft.
- Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Cook till the mixture thicken to a gooey paste.
- Pour into a pyrex dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Steam for an hour till cooked. Chill in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- Cut into thick slices and fry in a littel oil till golden. You could also fry with beaten egg. Serve with hoisin sauce or spicy chilli oil.