Tamarind and Ginger Chicken
Not too long ago, we tasted some delicious chicken wings (marinaded in a combination of tamarind and ginger) in a restaurant. I like the sweet sour taste of tamarind and it goes really well with the spicy and peppery taste of ginger.
Here’s my attempt at replicating Tanmarind and Ginger Chicken at home. I used chicken legs, thighs and chicken wings for this experiment. I think chicken wings turn out the best but I do like the more meaty chicken thigh. Also, added some paprika for an even spicier taste and a thin layer of honey on top when baking. As usual, I used my air fryer for making 2 serves but this can easily be done in an oven if you need to make more portions. Simply scale up the amount of ingredients accordingly.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/QpqWcQkpC9w
INGREDIENTS (for 2 serves)
- Chicken legs, thighs and wings (2 of each type)
- 2 cloves of garlic (grated)
- 1″ ginger piece (grated)
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Prepare the chicken pieces. Make slits in chicken legs and thighs for even cooking. Cut wings at the joints.
- Prepare marinade and massage marinade into the chicken pieces.
- Leave chicken to marinate for at least half an hour.
- Place the marinated chicken into the air fryer basket or onto baking tray in the oven.
- Fry in air fryer or bake in the oven at 200°C for 20 mins or until fully cooked.
- In the meanwhile, add oil to the remaining marinade and stir to combine. Brush marinade over the chicken pieces after 10 mins of cooking time.
- Flip chicken over to the other side and paint skin with honey and continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken to a serving plate and drizzle cooking juices over the chicken. Enjoy!