These Blueberry Almond Muffins are simple to make, fluffy, healthy & delicious. To reduce the sugar and fat content, I used honey and rice bran oil to substitute for sugar and butter. Also used Greek yogurt to replace milk – a truly skinny version. These blueberry almond muffins are fluffy and spongy with blueberry, honey and Greek yogurt giving them a sweet tangy taste. The almonds add a nice crunch.
The amount of ingredients listed will yield 6 muffins. Make some today and enjoy these guilt free muffins. You may wish to double up the amount of ingredients and freeze the leftover for those in-between meal cravings. To freeze, allow the muffins to cool completely, then place muffins in the freezer till frozen. Once frozen, keep them in a zip locked bag. To reheat, allow the muffin to thaw completely, wrap it in kitchen paper and reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 muffins)
- 120 gm self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Dash of cinnamon powder
- 1 egg
- 55 ml honey
- 35 ml bran rice oil
- 120 ml Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85 gm frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp split almonds or raw sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease the muffin tray. You may wish to use paper cups in the muffin tray instead.
2. Place flour into a mixing bowl. Remove 1 teaspoon of flour and add to the frozen blueberries. This will help prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Stir the flour into the blueberries and place the blueberries in the freezer.
3. To the flour in the mixing bowl, add baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, add honey and oil. Beat with a whisk to combine.
5. Add egg and whisk to incorporate.
6. Add yogurt and vanilla essence and mix well.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir to mix well.
8. Add the frozen blueberries and stir to mix in.
9. Scoop a large tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.
10. Top with split almonds or sprinkle the top with raw sugar. This will provide a nice crunch to the muffin top.
11. Bake at 180°C for 20 mins. until golden brown. Enjoy!