Braised Yee Mee with Mushroom & Bean Sprout (乾燒伊麵)
Yee Mee (伊麵) is a variety of egg noodles made from wheat flour. It is yellow brown colour and has a slightly chewy and spongy texture. These noodles are fried and then dried into round bundles. They are sold in Asian grocery stores.
I like the taste and texture of yee mee and when braised, they acquire the flavour of the sauce added. They go really well with crunchy bean sprout and tender mushroom. Here’s my recipe for Braised Yee Mee with Mushroom & Bean Sprout.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/2IW5cHBE-74
- 2 bundles of dried yee mee (soaked in hot water)
- 2 large hand full of bean sprouts (trimmed tails)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 4 prawns (diced)
- 2 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 Chinese dried mushroom (soaked & then sliced)
- 2 Tbsp rice bran oil
Sauce: mix together
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp water (from soaking mushroom)
- Combine all the ingredients of sauce. Stir to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
- Pour boiling water over the noodles and let soak for 5-10 mins. Use chopstick to separate the noodles. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil and stir fry the bean sprouts till just cooked and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp of oil to the same pan and add garlic to fry till fragrant.
- Add, prawns and mushrooms and fry till just cooked.
- Toss in the noodles and stir fry to mix well.
- Pour sauce over the noodles and stir to mix well. Drizzle cooking wine around the side of the pan.
- Braise the noodles in the sauce for 5-10 mins.
- Add the cooked bean sprout and stir fry for another minute before dishing up.