Crispy Mini Sponge Cakes (Kuih Bahulu)
If you are looking for a quick afternoon snack, try making some crispy mini sponge cakes. It is a simple, quick and easy snack to make. This recipe makes 12 mini cakes, just enough for 2 persons to enjoy with a cuppa (tea or coffee). In Singapore and Malaysia, they call it kuih bahulu. It is slightly sweet, has a spongy centre with a crispy exterior. I have air-fried my mini cakes after baking for an extra crispy exterior. There is no need to feel guilty about eating these cakes as the sugar content is well within the daily sugar requirement. Enjoy!
Video Link: https://youtu.be/LUMIZKfdQvY
Ingredients (makes 12 mini cakes)
Use a small muffin tray or mini tart moulds
- 2 eggs
- 60 gm sugar
- 60 gm self raising gluten free flour
- 15 gm butter (melted)
- 1-2 drops of vanilla essence
- Brush some butter in the holes of a small muffin tray. I use mini tart moulds to provide more surface area for crispiness.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and place the greased muffin tray in the oven.
Beat eggs and sugar together until ribbon formed. It takes about 5 to 8 minutes. Then add in oil and sift in flour, fold it gently.
Lightly brush the cake tin with oil, or line with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the cake tin, tap the tin for few times to release the bubbles. Put some almond slices on it.
pop in preheated oven at 180C, bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
- Separate the egg whites from egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites with sugar till stiff peak. Remove from mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, then add melted butter and beat till combined.
- Sift the flour and add to egg yolk butter mixture. Mix till well combined.
- Add a drop or two of vanilla essence.
- Add 1/3 of the whipped egg white into the batter and whisk till the batter is thick and creamy.
- Pour batter into the remaining whipped egg white and fold gently till combined.
- Remove muffin tray from the oven and pour batter into the muffin holes (75% full).
- Bake for 15 mins till golden brown.
- Cool by inverting muffin tray over an oven rack. Leave to cool for 5 mins.
- Shake the muffin tray to remove the cakes. Alternatively, remove them with a spatula and place them on an oven rack.
- Return the cakes to the oven to bake for another 5 mins till crispy.