Spicy Beef Stew with Barley
There is something comforting about beef stew – biting into chunks of tender beef and vegetables in a rich thick gravy is heavenly. For this spicy beef stew with barley, I added fresh chilli, paprika and ground cumin to give it an added kick. The barley soaks up some of the the gravy and gives it extra body. It was yummy! Will definitely make this again.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/wc5no8YkvFk
- 1 kg beef (cut into 2” cubes)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 fresh chillies (de-seeded)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup pearl barley (washed)
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 cup of beef or chicken stock
- 2 large carrots (cut into chunks)
- 1 red pepper (cut into chunks)
- 3 tomatoes (quartered)
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- salt and sugar to taste
- Lightly coat beef cubes with flour.
- Heat oil and add onion and fry till slightly caramelised.
- Add beef cubes in batches. Brown beef on all sides.
- Add garlic, paprika, ground cumin and fresh chillies and fry for a minute or two.
- Pour in beef stock and red wine. Then add barley.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 mins.
- Add red pepper, tomatoes, carrots and potatoes, and stir to mix. Cover again and simmer for a further 1–1¼ hours or until the beef, barley and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and sugar, to taste. Enjoy!