Homemade Spicy Sausage Roll
Sausage roll is a top favourite snack in Australia, sold in bakeries everywhere and a “must have” party food. Being homemade, you can control the type of meat, fat content and texture that goes into your sausage roll. In this Homemade Spicy Sausage Roll recipe, I fried the spices first before adding the cooled spices to the minced beef to make a spicy version of sausage roll. Also, I used finely grated carrot (remove as much water as possible before use) in place of breadcrumbs – this added the required moisture to the sausage without the density of breadcrumbs. Just make sure you squeeze out as much water as you can from the grated carrot before adding to the meat mixture.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/u1mMvfGHxOM
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 sausage rolls)
- 250gm beef mince (with at least 10% fat content and hand mince it, where possible)
- 1 carrot (finely grated, squeeze out as much water as possible)
- 5-6 mint leaves (finely shredded)
- 5-6 coriander leaves (finely shredded)
- 1 egg (beaten) – set aside 1 tbsp of beaten egg for egg wash
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour or bread crumb
- Spice Mix:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove (grated)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp fried onion
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (store bought puff pastry works well)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
2. Put oil in pan and fry garlic and ginger till fragrant.
3. Add fried onion, coriander, cumin, paprika powder and chilli powder and fry till fragrant and the oil separates out. . Set spice mixture aside to cool.
4. To the cooled spice mixture, add minced beef, carrot, mint, coriander leaves and beaten egg (remember to set aside 1 tbsp for eggwash).
5. Add salt and cornflour or bread crumbs. Mix well.
6. Cut frozen puff pastry into 2 strips.
7. Lay half of the spiced meat onto one end of the pastry strip.
8. Roll up pastry starting from minced meat side. Pinch the ends to prevent meat from falling out. Roll to ensure meat is evenly distributed.
9. Cut into 4 pieces per roll.
10. Brush the top with beaten egg.
11. Place on baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated 180ºC oven for 20 mins till golden.