Coconut Lamb Curry
This hearty coconut lamb curry is, by far, the best lamb curry I have tasted. It’s a recipe guaranteed to please. I love the luscious tender lamb in the creamy, spicy and rich curry sauce. Simply delicious! It’s excellent served with steamed rice or roti – which soak up all the delightful flavours. In this recipe, I am using Indian curry spices but have substituted yogurt with coconut milk.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/16HOFIx6GnA
- 700 gm lamb (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cardamon pod
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon stick
- Handful of mixed whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- Handful of curry leaves
- Spice mix:
- 1 tbsp fried onion
- 1 large thumbnail size fresh ginger (grated)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Heat oil in large pan; add curry leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves.
2. When leaves begin to sizzle and fragrance starts to release, add lamb and stir to coat. Add salt and cook for 15 mins, stirring frequently.
3. Add spice mix and saute until oil is released.
4. Add diced tomatoes, and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add 1 cup of coconut milk and simmer for 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
6. Add the ladies fingers to the curry and cook for 5 mins or until they turn bright green and tender but still crisp.
7. Taste the curry and add salt and sugar, to taste.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice or roti.