Spicy Baked Chicken is an easy dish to prepare – just marinade the chicken with spices, place on a bed of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and red peppers and roast for 50 mins. The chicken is tender and juicy with a crispy skin, the vegetables are nicely roasted and the gravy, oh the gravy is simply delicious! A most satisfying meal.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/sjF32VY_TNo
- 2 chicken maryland
- 2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- slices of half a lemon
- 1 tsp plum sauce (or vinegar)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1-2 red peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp rice bran or any vegetable oil
1. Cut a few slits in each of the chicken maryland. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly.
2. Rub salt and black pepper into the chicken and leave to season for a few mins.
3. Prepare the marinade by combining garlic, paprika, ground coriander, lemon slices and plum sauce. I added plum sauce instead of vinegar as I can’t have vinegar in my diet.
4. Brush marinade all over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least 30 mins.
5. Cut the potatoes, carrot, red peppers and tomatoes into cubes and place in a deep roasting dish.
6. Drizzle a tablespoon of oil and sprinkle salt & black pepper all over the vegetables.
7. Place the marinated chicken on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle lemon zest and dried thyme leaves and brush remaining marinade over the chicken.
8. Bake in a pre-heated 180ºC oven for a total of 50 mins. After the first 20 mins, brush the chicken with the braising liquid. After 15 mins, flip the chicken over, brush again with braising liquid. For the last 15 mins, flip back to the skin side and brush again. Increase the oven temperature to 200ºC and roast until the chicken skin is crispy and the vegetables are nicely roasted. Serve the chicken with roasted vegetables and the delicious gravy.