Chocolate Butter Cake with Chocolate Chips
This Chocolate Butter Cake is not one of those rich chocolate cakes so I feel less guilty eating it. I like the buttery yet light texture, not too sweet and with melting chocolate bits in every slice. I will definitely be baking this cake again.
Video link: https://youtu.be/hf2uIT8ah_g
- 125 gm butter
- 125 gm dark brown sugar (divide into 2 equal portions)
- 2 eggs (separate yolks from whites)
- 160 gm flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20 gm of cocoa powder (I used Cadbury hot chocolate powder)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 ml milk
- 60 gm dark chocolate (chopped)
1. Re-heat oven to 180°C.
2. Whisk butter before adding one portion of brown sugar. Whisk until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg yolks, one at a time and continue whisking. The mixture should be thick and creamy.
4. Sieve flour, baking powder, chocolate powder and salt.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture, in 2-3 batches. Mid-way, add milk and mix well. Set batter aside.
7. In a separate clean bowl and using clean and dry beaters, whisk egg whites till fluffy.
8. Add the rest of the brown sugar, a little at a time, and whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
9. Add 1/3 of the whipped egg white to the batter and fold in until well combined. Do the same with another 1/3 of the egg white mixture.
10. Finally, pour the batter into the remaining 1/3 of egg white mixture and fold in gently and mix well.
11. Stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla essence.
12. Pour into 18 cm round cake tin. Smooth the top with a spatula or spoon.
13. Bake in the pre-heated 180°C oven for 40 mins. To test if the cake is cooked, insert a clean wooden skewer into the centre of the cake and remove it. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean.
13. Invert the cake over a rack to cool.