Air-fried Chicken (KFC Flavour)
I love the taste of finger licking good KFC chicken but the deep fried version is too oily for me. The attached air-fried chicken is adapted from a reverse-engineered recipe by The Spice Guru (Genius Kitchen) for replicating KFC’s ‘Original Recipe’ chicken. (http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/kfc-original-recipe-chicken-copycat-393795). I have substituted some of the herbs and spices with what I have in my pantry and omitted those I can’t find.
This air-fried chicken recipe is not exactly KFC but close enough and the chicken is tender and pretty tasty. I have air-fried the chicken instead of deep frying – easy to cook and not at all oily. Yay! This recipe is definitely worth keeping – finger licking good!
Video Link: https://youtu.be/raho0Tllsbg
- 3 chicken thighs (de-boned and cut into chunks)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Dash of ground cardamon
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme (instead of ground dalmatian sage)
- 1/4 tsp of dry coriander leaves (instead of ground parsley)
- 1/3 cup of flour (instead of breading flour)
- 1 Tbsp cornflour (instead of egg white powder)
I have omitted the following:
- Dash of ground vanilla bean (omitted)
- Dash of celery salt (omitted)
- Dash of tsp ground savory (omitted)
- 1 tsp nonfat dry milk powder (omitted)
1. Prepare the brine solution by dissolving 1 tablespoon of salt in 2 cups of water.
2. Soak the chicken pieces in the brine solution and set aside. The recommendation is to soak for 4 hours. I only soaked it for 15 mins. Chicken was still pretty tender.
3. Put all coating ingredients into a bowl and stir well to combine.
4. Pour away the brine solution. Dip chicken into coating mixture and ensure each piece is fully coated.
5. Place coated chicken in the air fryer basket. Spread a little oil on both sides of the chicken.
6. Cook at 180ºC for 10 mins. Flip the chicken pieces over and continue to cook for another 5 mins. till the chicken is fully cooked and golden brown. Enjoy!