Tomato Egg Noodles (蕃茄蛋炒麵)
Tomato Egg Noodles is a concoction of all of our favourite food. Tomato stir fried with egg (蕃茄炒蛋) is a simple humble dish but a national favourite in Hong Kong. So, I thought combining this dish with slippery noodles and our favourite SPAM (luncheon meat) might be an idea. It turned out to be a superb combination of flavours – the slippery smooth noodles absorb all of the sweet and sour taste of the tomato egg sauce and taste great with the crispy and salty SPAM. Substitute with bacon if you don’t like SPAM.
Hmm…I think Tomato Egg Noodles might become another of my favourite noodle dishes.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/pF_LHo6VGho
- 2 serves of cooked noodles
- 2 slices of SPAM or luncheon meat or bacon (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
1. Cook the noodles till tender. Strain and set aside.
2. Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the SPAM or bacon cubes. Fry till crispy. Remove and set aside.
3. Add garlic to the pan and fry for a minute or two. Add all of the tomato cubes and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. Stir in 1 tbsp of soya sauce and a dash of black pepper.
4. Add beaten egg and stir to scramble.
5. Add cooked noodles and stir to combine. Add salt, soya sauce and black pepper to taste. Don’t overcook the eggs.
6. Remove the noodles to serving bowls. Sprinkle crispy SPAM or bacon on top and serve.