Dry Laksa Chicken
In this Dry Laksa Chicken recipe, I use home-made laksa paste to marinade the chicken drumsticks and then fry the marinaded chicken till golden. Add a little coconut milk to add fragrance and richness. The resulting laksa chicken is juicy with a thick spicy gravy.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/HVTXjaEBVLY
- 4 chicken drumsticks (cut slits in the thick part)
- 1 Tbsp of oil
- ½ can of coconut milk
- A handful of laksa leaves (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp laksa paste:
- 1 slice (about 2 inches) of belachan (roast)
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (soak in hot water till soft, then drain)
- 3 large fresh chillies (remove seeds, cut into small pieces)
- 2 dried red chillies (wash, remove seeds, cut into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp fried onion
- 1 inch galangal (slice)
- 3 cloves garlic (slice)
- 2 stalks of lemon grass (use bottom white bit, slice)
- 3 candle nuts (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
MAKE THE LAKSA PASTE
1. Place all the ingredients (except belachan) in a grinder. Grind till a paste is formed. You could use a mortar and pestle, if preferred.
2. Roast (fry without oil) the belachan till dry and powdery. The aroma may be overwhelming during roasting but the smell goes away after cooking. Sorry, you can’t leave out this key ingredient if you want a delicious laksa.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and the rest of the laksa paste. Fry the paste over low heat till the oil separates out.
Note: This will yield a cup of laksa paste. I use 2 Tbsp of this laksa paste to make the dry laksa chicken. Keep the remainder in the freezer to make laksa noodles on another day.
COOK THE DRY LAKSA CHICKEN
1. Chop up a handful of laksa leaves.
2. Cut slits in the thick part of the drumsticks. This will allow the legs to cook evenly.
3. Rub the chicken drumsticks with the laksa paste, ensuring they are fully coated. Marinade the chicken drumsticks for at least an hour.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the marinaded chicken and fry till the oil oozes out. This will take 10-15 mins.
5. Add the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer till the chicken is cooked and the gravy thickens.
4. Sprinkle sliced laksa leaves over the laksa chicken, before serving.