Assam fish has all the flavours to tickle one’s taste buds – spicy, sour, sweet, salty and umami. It’s mouth-watering and appetising. The unique tamarind taste goes so well with okra and tomato. I would have added aubergines and pineapples if I had those at the time of cooking.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/tgY6pBJ_ziE
- 6-7 large pieces of fish fillet
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Spice Mix: grind together
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 slices of ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 3 cups of water
- 3 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- a handful of okra (cut off the tips)
- 2 tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 red pepper (cut into large pieces)
- a handful of fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
1. Rub salt & black pepper on the fish fillets. Marinade for 15 mins.
2. Grind the spice mixture till fine.
3. In a large pot, heat up the oil and add the spice mix. Fry on low heat until the oil starts to separate out.