Butter Cake – topped with almond and pecan
I love this butter cake recipe – it is not too sweet nor too buttery. Hubby loves this cake so I have had the chance to perfect it through years of practice.
We love the combination of crunchy sides, soft buttery centre and the crispy almond top – esp when fresh out from the oven. These days, I like to add a ring of pecan halves – so pretty!
Video link: https://youtu.be/HSRF-BclQuU
INGREDIENTS (use a 20 cm baking tin)
- 100 gm butter
- 100 gm sugar (cream with butter)
- 30 gm sugar (beat with egg white)
- 3 eggs (separate yolk from white)
- 180 gm cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 12 pecans
- almond flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat butter and sugar till white & fluffy. Either beat by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Add egg yolk one at a time and continue beating until creamy.
- Sift the cake flour with baking powder. Fold in the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Beat egg white and sugar in a clean dry mixing bowl till stiff.
- Pour beaten egg white mixture (1/3 at a time) into the batter and stir in to mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a round (20 cm) baking tin.
- Smooth the top and decorate with a ring of pecans and pile almond flakes in the middle and along the sides.
- Bake at 180°C for 35-45 mins.
- Test for doneness by inserting a skewer in the middle. It should come out clean.