Fried Sesame Ball
I have been making these wonderfully crispy fried sesame ball for some time now and they have been very well received by my family and friends. Biting into the crunchy skin, then the soft gooey texture followed by a sugary peanut butter paste – that is heaven.
However, I found that if the balls are not properly sealed, they can burst when cooking in the hot oil and this is a real concern to me. I have since discovered that adding a bit of cooked glutinous rice into the mixture helped to prevent the balls from bursting. I think it is the stickiness of the cooked glutinous rice that is providing the seal.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/SEHb45kP_LQ
INGREDIENTS (yield 12 pieces)
- 110 gm glutinous rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 80 ml boiling water
- 2 teaspoons Canola oil
- 2 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Canola oil for deep frying – 1 1/2 cup in a small saucepan
- 40 gm peanut (ground)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 20 gm butter (melted)
1. Make the filling by combining ground peanut, sugar and butter into a paste. Taste the mixture. Divide into 12 portions and set aside.
2. Sift the glutinous rice flour and baking powder together a couple of times. Remove 2 tablespoons of this mixture, to a separate small bowl and mix it with 1 tablespoon of water to make a soft dough ball. Boil some water in a saucepan and drop the dough ball into the water. Once it starts to float, remove the dough ball and set aside.
3. Place the rest of the sifted flour into a mixing bowl and make a space in the centre. Add sugar into the space and pour in some boiling water to dissolve the sugar.
4. Add the cooked dough ball and mix with the flour mixture. Add the rest of water, a little at a time and mix into a dough.
5. Knead the flour mixture to form a soft pliable dough. Add oil and knead till oil is completely absorbed.
6. Roll the dough into a long tube and cut into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Press the ball into a disc.
7. Add a portion of the filling, roll up and roll into a ball.
8. Coat with sesame seeds and gently roll the ball to ensure the seeds are pressed into the dough.
9. Heat oil to 140°C. Slide all the balls gently into the hot oil. When the balls float, turn heat to high. Fry for 6-7 mins, rolling the balls gently while cooking.
10. They are ready when golden brown. Transfer to paper towel to remove any excess oil.
CARE: filling is HOT; so let it cool down before eating.