Beef stew is the ultimate comfort food. I love those tender flavoursome beef chunks in the super rich gravy. Serve it hot with mash potato, crusty bread or steamed rice (yes rice!)….or just on its own. If there are leftovers, heat it up the next day and add some noodles. The noodles will soak up all that rich gravy and the taste is heavenly – a little like the Chinese beef brisket noodles (牛腩麵).
Video Link: https://goo.gl/k33NCt
- 500 gm beef rump (cut into large chunks)
- 2 potatoes (cubed)
- 1 carrots (cubed)
- 1 red pepper (cubed)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 ginger slices
- 3-4 turmeric slices
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Lots of black pepper
- 1 cup of beef stock
1. Sprinkle some flour on the beef chunks.
2. Heat oil in a deep pot. Add beef and brown.
3. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric slices.
4. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt.
5. Add all the vegetables. Stir to combine.
6. Add 1 cup of beef stock and plenty of black pepper.
7. Bring to the boil, then lower heat. Cover and simmer for 30 mins.
8. The sauce should have thickened by now. The rich stew is ready! Serve hot with steamed rice, mashed potato or crusty bread.
9. If there are leftovers, heat up and add some noodles. The noodles soak up the rich sauce and it’s delicious.