Honey chicken is an old favourite. The chicken pieces are very tender and go very well with the sweet savoury honey sauce.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/b8icIukEfDU
- 1 chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes) – marinate with:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of white pepper
- 3 tbsp of water
- Batter – Mix:
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 chilli powder or sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 egg (beaten)
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp water
- Thickener: 1 Tbsp cornflour (mixed with 1 Tbsp water)
- Oil for deep frying
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
1. Cut chicken thigh into 1 inch cubes. Marinate with salt, white pepper, garlic powder & water. for 15 mins.
2. Mix batter ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, ensuring a smooth texture.
3. Place all the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.
4. Add about 2 inches of oil to a deep saucepan. Heat oil at medium heat. Drop a little batter into the hot oil. The oil is hot enough when bubbles form around the batter.
5. Fry the chicken in 3 batches to prevent overcrowding. Dip a piece of chicken into the batter and drop it into the hot oil. Do the same with the other chicken pieces. Separate the pieces by stirring with a pair of chopsticks. When they are golden brown, remove them to drain on kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Place drained chicken in a bowl and set aside.
6. Using a separate saucepan, add the sauce mixture to the pan. When the sauce starts to boil, add thickener. Once the sauce thickens, remove and pour the sauce over the fried chicken. Give it a quick stir and ensure all the chicken pieces are fully coated with the sauce. Remove to a plate and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.