Radish Cake aka Lobak Ko (萝卜糕)
One of the popular dim sum dishes is fried lobak ko (radish cake). It’s usually served pan fried with chilli and hoisin sauce. This simple dish can be made even tastier when fried with prawn, Chinese sausage and eggs. Adding some bean sprout and chives will make it a complete meal.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/pra89FaeIs8
- 1 radish 9 in x 3.5 in (shredded) + 1 cup of water
- 150 mg rice flour
- 25 gm cornflour
- 12 gm wheat starch
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2½ cups of water
1. Add shredded radish to 1 cup of water and bring it to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes till tender.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, cornflour, wheat starch, salt, oil and 2½ cups of water. Stir batter till smooth.
3. Add the flour mixture to the cooked radish and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till thebatter is thick and creamy.
4. Pour batter into a deep dish. Smooth the top. Steam for 30 minutes, till cooked. To test, insert a skewer, it should come out clean.
5. Remove from heat and leave to set (1 hour) in the fridge. You could speed up the setting stage by transferring to another dish and leaving it the freezer for 15-30 minutes.
6. When set, cut into slices or bite size cubes.
- Steam the cubes and serve with chilli and hoisin sauces.
- Cut into large slices and pan-fry till crispy on the outside.
- Fry the cubes with egg, prawn, Chinese sausage, bean sprout and chives. Remember to add some sambal chilli for added spice.