Sand crabs are in season and they are proving very popular at the Farmers Market. I bought one and spend some time picking out the delicate crab meat. You need patience for this and in some way it is quite a calming and therapeutic exercise. But next time I think I’ll buy the ready picked version 😏.
The crab meat is extremely delicate and sweet and tastes so good when added to scrambled eggs and tomatoes. Just make sure you don’t overcook the crab meat. I added the cooked crab meat in the last minute of the cooking process.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/2sFuqu-tNR0
- 1 cooked sand crab (carefully pick out the meat)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 eggs (beaten with 2 half egg shells of water)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 fresh chilli (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (shredded)
- 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sambal chilli
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
1. Carefully pick out the meat from the sand crab and set aside. Alternatively, buy the ready picked version.
2. Beat eggs with 2 half shells of water. Add salt & black pepper. Set aside.
3. Heat oil and add ginger, garlic and chilli.
4. Add chopped tomato and cook for a couple of minutes till tomato soften.
5. Add tomato ketchup, sambal chilli.
6. Add water and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes.
7. Add soya sauce.
8. Add beaten eggs and scramble the eggs to large curds. Add salt & black pepper to taste.
9. Stir in crab meat and cook for 1 minute. Don’t overcook.