Sweet & Sour Pork (咕咾肉)
Sweet & Sour Pork is an internationally known dish loved by many around the world. It’s classic Chinese cuisine served in all Chinese restaurants. This dish is also cooked in many Chinese homes.
You would probably have your own Sweet & Sour Pork recipe. Here is my version of Sweet & Sour Pork – pork is crispy on the outside and tender inside and goes extremely well with the sweet & sour sauce. Onion, tomato and cucumber provide the additional crunch. Sometimes I add pineapple and longan too, for an even tastier version.
- 300 gm shoulder pork (cut into cubes) – marinade with:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp cornflour for coating
- Oil for deep frying the pork
- Sauce ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1/2 cucumber (cut into chunks)
- 2 tomatoes (cut into cubes)
- Thickener: 1 Tbsp cornflour (mix with 2 Tbsp of water)
1. Marinade pork meat for 15 minutes. Just before frying, coat the meat with cornflour.
2. Put some oil into a saucepan and fry the pork meat till golden brown. Remove to a serving plate.
3. Remove most of the oil to a container, leaving 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan. Fry onion for a couple of minutes. Add cucumber and tomato and continue to stir fry for a couple of minutes.
4. Add sauce ingredients and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes. The sauce should have thicken by now; if not, add thickener.
5. Pour sauce over the fried pork and serve.