Sar Hor Fun – Fried Rice Noodles
We do not have easy access to quality Penang style fried rice noodles, Sar Hor Fun (沙河粉) in Australia. I am pretty happy with my version of this dish (approved by a true Penangite) and am more than happy to share it here. If you have a craving for rice noodles with a smoky flavour and smothered in a thick and luscious gravy (and you don’t live in Penang), try this recipe and you will not be disappointed.
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 serves)
- 200 gm fresh rice noodles (hor fun)
- 200 gm rice vermicelli (mi fun)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 100 gm belly pork (cut into thin strips)
- 1 Tbsp pork fat (from belly pork, cut into tiny cubes)
- 6 green prawns (peeled, de-veined)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks Chinese leafy vegetable (Pak Choy or Choy Sum) – cut into 4 cm chunks
Gravy: (mix all ingredients in a bowl, ready for use)
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of white pepper powder
- 100 ml chicken stock (or 1 tsp chicken powder mixed in 100 ml of water)
- 400 ml water
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 cup water
1. Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain.
2. Add 1/2 Tbsp soya sauce and 1/2 Tbsp dark soya sauce to rice vermicelli and stir to mix well. Do the same with the rice noodles.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the hot pan. Add pork fat pieces and fry till crispy. Remove and set aside.
4. Using the same pan, when oil is smoking, add rice noodles. Do not stir, let it burn slightly in the oil. Flip over and brown the other side. Stir fry for a couple of mins. Remove and place equal portions in each of the 2 plates.
5. Repeat the process with rice vermicelli and when slightly charred on both sides, use chopsticks to stir fry for a couple of mins. Remove and add to the fried rice noodles.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and fry the minced garlic until fragrant. Add in the pork and prawn and fry for a couple of minutes. Add gravy and bring it to the boil, then cover and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the vegetables and stir to mix well. Stir in cornflour mixture to thicken the gravy.
8. Pour the gravy onto the fried rice vermicelli and rice noodles. Add the crispy pork fat pieces on top and serve. Some people like to add slices of pickled green chilli.