Hakka Crispy Pork
I learnt of this dish called Hakka Crispy Pork from my sister-in-law recently. Hakka Crispy Pork is tender belly pork, marinaded in a mixture of red fermented chilli bean curd and other seasoning, and deep fried to attain a super crispy exterior.
The key seasoning ingredient is red fermented chilli bean curd (nam yue). Fermented bean curds have a creamy, soft cheese like texture and a distinctive flavour. They are cubes of soya bean paste fermented in wine, salt, 5-spice powder, chilli flakes and red rice yeast.
- 700 gm belly pork without skin (cut into 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 cube of red fermented chilli bean curd
- 1/4 tsp 5-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 egg
- Dash of white pepper
- 1 Tbsp cooking wine.
- Flour mixture:
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp rice flour
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- Oil for deep frying
1. Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix well.
2. Add pork belly and stir well ensuring the pork belly is fully covered with the marinade.
3. Leave the pork to marinade for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, to ensure the seasoning is well absorbed.
4. Prepare the flour mixture by stirring the flour, rice flour and cornflour together.
5. Dip the marinaded pork belly lightly into the flour mixture and place on a plate.
6. Heat up about 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan – at medium heat. Drop a small piece of pork into the hot oil. The oil is ready for use when the oil starts to bubble around the pork. Carefully drop the pieces of coated pork belly into the hot oil.
7. Stir the pork pieces in the oil to prevent the pork from sticking to each other. Deep fry till pork is crispy and golden brown. Remove the fried pork to a plate lined with kitchen paper. to drain any excess oil.
8. Serve the Hakka Crispy Pork on a plate of fresh cucumber & tomatoes.