Whenever I run out of time and ideas on what to cook for dinner, fried rice inevitably comes to mind as it’s an easy and tasty dish to cook. This time, instead of using the normal fried rice ingredients, I opted for the chicken and salt fish version. Fried Rice with Chicken and Salt Fish is not only easy to cook but also very tasty – the flavoursome chicken cubes, the fragrant and crispy deep fried salt fish is a great combination with the toasty fried rice with egg white.
I like my fried rice with a little toasty flavour so during each stage of the stir frying, I will leave rice to fry for a minute or two before flipping rice over and continuing with the stir frying.
- 1 cup of cooked rice (best if left overnight)
- 20 gm salt fish (deep fried)
- 200 gm chicken meat (cut into small cubes)
- Seasoning for chicken:
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 egg white (beaten)
- 1 tsp seame oil
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- Dash of white pepper
1. Cut chicken into small cubes and add seasoning ingredients, sugar, sesame oil and soya sauce. Mix well and then add cornflour and mix again. Leave the chicken to season for 15 mins.
2. Cut salt fish into small strips and deep fry till crispy and golden. Break up the fried salt fish into small pieces. Leave aside.
3. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan or wok and add seasoned chicken cubes. Stir fry the chicken till cooked and golden. Remove fried chicken to a plate.
4. Using the same pan or wok, add the cooked rice and stir fry for a few minutes.
5. Add the beaten egg white and stir fry into the rice.
6. Add cooked chicken and continue to stir fry.
7. Add fried salt fish and stir well to mix.
8. Add sesame oil, soya sauce & dash of white pepper and continue to stir fry.
Note: During each stage of stir frying, to get the fried rice with a little toasty flavour, let the rice fry for a minute or two before flipping rice over and continuing with the stir frying.