It is common to see BBQ pork ribs hanging in most Chinatown restaurant windows, for sale, together with roast duck and char siew. Roast Pork Rib in Chilli Sauce is a variation of this popular BBQ pork rib dish. The added chilli sauce gives it a piquant taste and the use of grill pan adds the charred, smoky flavour.
Watch “How to Make” Video
- 900 gm pork ribs (choose those with lots of meat)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 Tsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Dash of white pepper
- 4 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
1. Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Marinade the pork ribs with the sauce ingredients. Massage the seasoning into the pork ribs. Add cornflour and mix well.
3. Leave the marinaded pork ribs in the fridge for at least 4 hours (best overnight).
4. Take the pork ribs out from the fridge 1/2 hour before roasting.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
6. Brush a grill pan with a little oil. Place the pork ribs onto the grill pan.
7. Cook the remaining marinade in 1/4 cup of water. Stir until it thickens into a sauce.
8. Roast for 15 mins. before flipping the ribs over. Spread the cooked marinade over the ribs and roast the other side for another 15 mins. The pork ribs should be golden brown and slightly burnt. If not, roast for another 5-10 mins.
9. Enjoy the ribs on its own or with the cooked marinade as a sauce.