Roast duck is one of our favourite food. When in London, we have roast duck at least once a week. I tried making my own roast duck at home but with duck leg as I am only cooking for two. It’s surprisingly easy to make!
I must say I am quite pleased with my Roast Duck Leg – the skin was quite crispy and had the right colour and the meat was flavoursome and juicy.
- 2 duck legs
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 slice of lemon
1. Fill a saucepan with sufficient water to cover the duck legs.
2. Add honey and lemon and bring water to a boil.
3. Add the duck legs and bathe the legs by scooping the boiling water over the legs for about 3-5 mins.
4. Remove the duck legs to a cutting board. Make deep slits in the meat part of the leg.
5. Mix the five spice powder with the salt. Rub this mixture all over the meat portion of the leg, making sure the spices get into the slits.
6. Stand the legs upright in a sieve to drain and place legs & sieve in the fridge to dry overnight. You could also hang the legs to dry in the sun.
7. The next day, place the legs on a rack and brush a thin layer of oil over the legs.
8. Roast them in the oven for 30 mins at 180°C. The skin of the duck legs should be golden brown. If not, turn the temperature to 200°C and roast for another 5 mins.
9. Serve the Roast Duck Leg with plum sauce and/or ‘Grandma’ chilli sauce.