Grilled Chicken Drumsticks – yummy!
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks – I like the tender, juicy chicken meat mixed with the aroma of herbs and spices and the taste of “grill”. Yum!
The are a couple of tricks to achieve an excellent result:
- Cut a few deep slits in the thick part of the drumstick and rub the marinade into the slit. The slits will also reduce the cooking time and ensure the chicken cook evenly.
- Use a cast iron pan for the best “grill” result. You can also transfer the cast iron pan directly into the oven to finish the cooking. However, I prefer to remove the chicken to a deeper oven proof pyrex dish to avoid the splatters in the oven.
Watch “How to Make” video
- 4 chicken drumsticks (skin on)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Make deep slits in the thick part of the drumsticks. – this will not only allow the marinade to penetrate through but also reduce the cooking time and ensure the chicken cook evenly.
- Rub the marinade into the chicken drumsticks, making sure the marinade get into the slits. Marinade the chicken for at least 30 mins.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a cast iron pan. Place chicken drumsticks on the pan. Reduce the temperature to a medium setting. Cover and let the drumsticks brown for about 5 mins.
- Flip the chicken drumsticks over to brown the other side for another 5 mins.
- Place the cast iron pan in a pre-heated 200°C oven to finish the cooking. I prefer to remove the partly cooked chicken drumsticks to a deeper oven proof pyrex dish for the roasting. This will avoid the splatter from the shallow cast iron pan. Roast for 10 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.