If you like super crunchy yet succulent and tasty popcorn size chicken pieces, you must try out this Popcorn Chicken recipe. Popcorn Chicken is another quick and easy dish.
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 egg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
1. Marinade chicken cubes with all the ingredients (except for Panko breadcrumbs and oil) for 10 minutes.
2. Put marinaded chicken cubes into the cup of breadcrumbs and stir to coat the chicken pieces. Add more breadcrumbs, if required, to ensure a generous coating of each cube.
3. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a small sauce pan. Drop a couple of breadcrumbs into the oil. If breadcrumbs start to sizzle, oil is ready for frying. Using a small saucepan will mean using much less oil to achieve deep frying results.
4. Fry the chicken cubes in 3 batches. Drop the chicken cubes into the oil slowly and let the chicken fry till light golden brown before flipping the chicken around with a pair of chopsticks to ensure even heating.
5. Scoop up the chicken with a slotted frying slice to a sieve lined with kitchen paper towels. This will help drain off any excess oil. Continue frying the other batches in the same way.
6. After frying the final batch, allow the oil to heat up again before putting all the chicken into the oil to fry again – for a crispier popcorn chicken.
7. Serve super crunchy Popcorn Chicken by itself or with sweet chilli sauce, if preferred.
Note: Popcorn Chicken has to be deep fried. I have tried a baked version – however the coating is just not crunchy enough.