Aussie Meat Pie – scrumptious!
Aussie Meat Pie is one of my favourite pies. The filling is meaty and full of delicious gravy and the crust is very crispy. Filling is mainly beef, either minced or diced. Sometimes, onion, mushroom, carrot or celery are added. The base is short crust pastry with puff pastry on top. Aussies enjoy their meat pie with a dollop of tomato sauce.
Ingredients (makes 1 big pie for 2 to share)
- 300 gm of extra lean minced beef (or diced beef, if preferred)
- 1 carrot (finely diced)
- 1 red pepper (finely diced) or celery, onion, mushroom (if preferred)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 Tbsp fried shallot
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp BBQ sauce (or Worcestershire sauce, if preferred)
- 1 cup of beef stock
- Black pepper powder (generous amount)
- Thickener – 1 Tbsp cornflour mixed with a little water
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry (usually 1 sheet of short crust and 1 sheet of puff pastry)
- 1 egg (beaten)
1. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pot and add garlic paste. Add beef and fry till brown. Add fried shallot and mix well.
2. Add carrot and red pepper and stir fry for a few minutes.
3. Add beef stock, tomato sauce and BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 5-10 mins. Add a generous amount of black pepper powder. Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning to your liking.
4. Add thickener (cornflour + water), then simmer for a few more minutes. Remove to a flat plate to cool down.
5. Cut and line a sheet of pastry on the base of a 14 cm round baking tin. Usually short crust pastry is used. In this recipe, I used puff pastry. Cut a strip of pastry and line the side and rim of the tin. Press the pastry to ensure the bottom and side are sealed.
6. Fill the pastry lined tin with the cooled filling, to the top of the tin.
7. Cut the puff pastry slightly larger than the tin for the top and place over the filling. Press the pastry on the rim of the tin. Use a fork to seal the edge. Make a x-slit in the middle of the pastry – to allow hot air to escape during baking. Brush with beaten egg, avoiding the slit.
8. Bake in a pre-heated 180°C oven for 20 mins or until puffed and golden brown. Aussies enjoy their meat pie with a dollop of tomato sauce.