Teriyaki Chicken is well known. I thought there is no reason why teriyaki sauce wouldn’t work well with pork too. I used teriyaki sauce to braise my pork belly and am quite happy with the result. The pork belly skin gave the sauce a gelatinous texture which I really like. Will definitely make Teriyaki Pork again.
- 500 gm pork belly with skin (cut into 2cm cubes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- Sauce ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add garlic cloves. Fry till garlic cloves are fragrant and golden.
2. Add pork belly cubes (skin down) in batches and fry till pork belly is crispy and golden brown. If the pork belly is wet, use kitchen towel to dry pork belly before frying.
3. Put all the fried pork belly cubes back into the pot and add all the sauce ingredients. Stir well to combine.
4. Add water, sufficient to just cover the pork. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 45 mins.
5. Do not overcook the pork. Test the pork with a fork; the pork should be tender but still with a bit of bite.
Note: I like my sauce thick and a little gooey. If your sauce is still watery, remove the pork and reduce the sauce to a nice coating consistency. Stir the pork back into the sauce before serving.