Recently, I bought a book about baking by Nigella Lawson which was published way back in 2000. The Cherry-Almond Loaf Cake looked interesting so I decided to try out this recipe. The Cherry Almond Cake was easy to make and quite delicious. I like the texture and the crispy crust but it was a tad sweet for my taste. I have reduced the sugar content in the recipe below. I will certainly make this cake again and perhaps use a mixture of dried fruit instead of glace cherries.
- 225gm butter (softened)
- 150gm caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250gm self raising flour
- 100gm ground almond
- 200gm glace cherries
- 6 Tbsp milk
1. Wash the cherries in cold water, drain and pat dry with kitchen towel. Toss in some flour and shake well to get rid of the excess. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add beaten egg, one at a time and mix well.
4. Fold in the flour and ground almond.
5. Add cherries and mix well.
6. Stir in the milk.
7. Spoon into a baking tray and bake in a 175°C pre-heated oven for 50 mins. The cake is cooked when the skewer comes out clean.
8. Leave in the baking tin until completely cool before serving.