Beef in Black Pepper Sauce
Years ago, we used to frequent a Vietnamese Chinese restaurant and order their black pepper lamb. The lamb is served sizzling in a hot plate and black pepper sauce is poured on, creating a racket and plenty of splatters. We moved away from the area some ten years ago, so it has been a long time since we last had this dish. I am trying to replicate that dish at home, however substituting beef for lamb and without the hot plate and the accompanying splattering. Here’s my recipe for beef in black pepper sauce.
- 300 gm beef – porterhouse, rump or fillet (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 red pepper (cut into 1 inch squares)
- 1 yellow pepper (cut into 1 inch squares)
- 1 stalk kai lan (Chinese broccoli)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- Seasoning for beef:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Black pepper sauce: stir together
- 1 tbsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
1. Prepare beef, vegetables and sauce – ready for a quick stir fry.
2. Season beef cubes with salt and black pepper. Coat with 1 tsp of cornflour.
3 Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan till smoking hot.
4. Add seasoned beef and let beef sear in the hot oil for a minute before flipping over. The trick is to fry the beef quickly so that it remains tender. Do not overcook beef. Remove the beef cubes to a plate to rest.
5. Add onion and garlic to the pan and fry till fragrant.
6. Add red and yellow peppers and kai lan and stir fry till cooked (3-5 mins).
7. Add black pepper sauce and let the vegetable simmer for a couple of minutes.
8. Add beef cubes and give it a quick stir.
9. Add thickener and once thickened, remove to a plate. Serve the beef in black pepper sauce with steamed rice.
You may like other beef recipes such as: